Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thank you, Sergeant Rex!

I recently read this wonderful book, "Sergeant Rex" The Unbreakable Bond Between A Marine and His Military Working Dog by Mike Dowling.  I highly recommend this book, excellent, one of those books that you pick up and barely put it down until every last word is read.  I haven't had the pleasure of sharing a moment with this type of book in a very long time...it was a wonderful journey!

I will give you a little snip-it from the book, something I have tried to convey many times, a very important concept.  Mike writes about the ability of the canine nose.  Nothing matches it, although the armed services have tried to.  I so like his explanation...so much wisdom and truth when he writes -

"When it comes to tracking down explosives, nature has created in a dog's nose a device infinitely more precise than anything modern technology has to offer.  No one knows for sure, but people say that a dog's nose is one thousand times more sensitive than a human's.  Dogs have millions more scent receptors than humans, and the size of the part of their brain used for analyzing smells is 20 - 40 percent larger than ours.  They can literally sniff out the bombs.  A handler trains his dog how best to use his incredible abilities, so the dog becomes a bomb-detection device with its own mind and driven by a brain.  A good handler learns to trust his dog to lead the way, and to use his instinct and drive to track down the threat.  A mechanical bomb-detection device - like a metal detector - goes only where the operator takes it.  It offers a blunt, unintelligent form of search compared to a dog tracking a scent on the air."

Mike goes onto explain how often times when using a mechanical device you can be right on top of the explosive before it alerts you to danger...too late.  The dogs, on the other hand, tell you way before the threat can take your life!

This book had me sitting on the edge of my seat; crying, laughing and shouting "YES"!  I don't generally do book reviews, but this one has 2 thumbs up from me, plus four paws up from Alli, collie!  A must read!  It is always my pleasure in life to bring to light the wonderful ways in which dogs enrich our lives! And for those who know me well, you know how much of a soft place I have in my heart for our Military Heroes - one and  all.  My hat's off to Sergeant Rex..."atta boy Rex" and to his partner, Mike!!

I also want to take this time to thank all our Military Heroes; Men, Women and Canine!  I especially want to thank two very special WW II veterans - my Dad and Uncle - who are no longer with us - Robert H. Hankey and Robert Toomey (who fought in Patton's army).  I love you both and honor you here today - thank you!  Missed but never forgotten!


No comments:

Post a Comment