Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Life on our small farm...





It's shaping up to be a very hot day at Wind Dance Pony farm here in Ohio. The heat was already oppressive early in the morning. As I finished up fly spraying ponies, filling water tubs, cleaning stalls and placing the barn fan just so for the ponies, I called the dogs to follow me into the house. My next order of business for the day is to have a cup of tea while checking emails and sending out confirmations for my lessons for the day. As I was sitting at my desk, my sweet collie Alli was doing her low talk and quiet bark at the back french doors. These are the doors where Alli keeps watch over her ponies during the day. I always check when Alli talks or barks at the door. My gaze was greeted with happily grazing ponies...one, two, three, four...all present and accounted for. No apparent problem. I smiled at Alli as I returned to my desk and let her know everything was as it should be. I sat back down and no sooner started typing and Alli started her low guttural talking/bark. It was kind of cute, as she was hiding a bit behind the couch from my sight as she knew I had asked her to stop. But thankfully, she would not be deterred. I'm such a silly human, as I know when Alli talks or barks something is amiss. She is the guardian of our farm and only barks when she is alerting me to something out of place, unlike my two sweet, albeit, goofy Jack Russells. Again, I didn't see a thing but my beautiful ponies enjoying their pasture... Okay, Alli show me. I opened the door and followed her. Alli went immediately to the pasture gate and as I followed her path it was then I saw her... Sweet Libby my smallest JR (pictured brown and white) was sitting on the other side of the gate patiently waiting for me to allow her to join us indoors. Thank you, thank you Alli, collie! The heat must affected me more than I knew...how could I have forgotten about Libby. Libby could have easily went under the pasture fence and went on an adventure, she was sitting in the hot sun waiting...waiting for me. We live on a very busy road and I shutter to think what could have happened. Alli saves the day again! Good girl Alli, atta girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment