Thursday, June 5, 2014

Recalls...let me count the ways!

One of the most important behaviors you can teach your dog is to "come" when called. This is something I teach during my very first session with a new student.  It's important that we teach this concept while we can reinforce it, right from the start and on lead.  I not only teach this concept in class, I give you a couple of great games (Fantastic Recall Games) to play at home to help you build a solid recall.

This is a concept that gets better and better the more you use it, the more you ask for it.  I often say, "we have not because we ask not".  If you don't use it, you'll lose it.  It's true!  Ask for and practice this behavior over and over again.  When your dog comes to you, I also encourage you to make a party.  Praise them like they are the best thing since slice bread.  You get the picture. 

A couple important things to keep in mind.  You will need to build the recall slowly.  First ask your dog to "come" on lead over and over again.  It's magic, your dog has no other option other than to come to you because if they hesitate you can reel them in.  When they are coming to you with ease on lead...move to asking your dog to come to you while indoors and in your back yard.  In other words, ask your dog to come when you feel there is over a 90% chance your dog will come and is not going to be distracted.  In the event your dog does not come to you, please don't get upset or angry - you will only undo the very important work you have already accomplished.  Go and get your dog and forget it.  Try again next time.

Second use opportunities throughout the day to practice!  I read an article that said you should do at least 24 recalls in one day.  Kind of like hugs, the more the better.  I started to think, "wow, that's a lot of recalls."  But then I broke it down and here are some creative ways to incorporate recalls in your day.

First thing in the morning when you are going to feed your dog, build on his eagerness to come to you to get his food.  I don't mind if they are two steps behind or in front of me, I'm gonna reinforce the concept. "Fido come!" before I place his food bowl down.  I sometimes ask for a sit or down too.  So if you feed your dog twice a day, which I highly recommend, you have now asked your dog to "come" 2 times already.  This is going to be easy...

When you let your dog out to potty and they have done the deed or are just hanging out, open the door with great excitement - something wonderful is happening in here - and say "Fido come!".  IF they look at you like, nah...pick up your baggy or box of dog treats and shake them.  Be sure when they arrive in the door they get a cookie as reward for coming when called.  Now I don't know about you but I let my dogs out at least 5 to 6 times a day and wha la...now you're up to 8 recalls!

If you practice your Round Robin Recall game with all your family members (and let's say the average family has 3 people to play) that's good for an additional 9 recalls (each member calling the dog 3 times) and you have a grand total of 18.  Don't stop at 3 each, you can do more...why not?!

Now all these suggestions are just gimmes...easy, right?  Not so hard afterall to reinforce those recalls!  Throw in some training time adding your recall exercises and you might just meet that 24 recalls in a day. Be creative and count the ways you can call your dog. 

And as always "happy training"!!

2 comments:

  1. All great ideas! We are practicing....Bonnie and Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great ideas; we are practicing! Bonnie & Pearl

    ReplyDelete