Friday, October 17, 2014

Just 30 Minutes

I recently heard an advertisement for a new language program.  Being a lover of languages, this commercial caught my attention.  Just 30 minutes a day and you too can learn a new language.  I'm in, I should get this program.  Only 30 minutes a day and I am speaking another language fluently.

But then it struck me, I thought about the true commitment of time.  Just 30 minutes, 30 minutes is a chunk of time.  I began to count all those things I do each day that I have committed to.  They add up, feeding the dogs, ponies, cleaning stalls, cooking dinner and the list goes on.

I thought about encouraging my students to practice with their dogs just 15 to 20 minutes a day. Doesn't seem like a great deal of time. But, very often my students share with me how busy their week was and how they just could not squeak out 15 minutes a day to work with their dog.

I started to think about practicing anything for 30 minutes a day.  You name it, practice for 30 minutes each day and you are going to become pretty proficient.

So often when I speak with young people about dogs, I hear about how high energy their dogs are, how they don't listen, they bark and the list goes on and on.  I ask them if they think that therapy dogs, seeing eye dogs, bomb detection dogs are special.  Each and every one nod their head yes!

Then I explain to them how I trained my Alli collie to become a therapy dog.  How she has been everywhere with me, well socialized, had opportunity to see many sights and sounds. In other words, I have spent a great deal of time with her.  I then tell them how she used to jump on people when she was a puppy, bark at the ponies, get into the trash.  They look at me with total bemusement.  "No way!"

I also explain how seeing eye dogs are in training from puppies.  Hours and hours spent on socializing and training.  My conclusion is this, I believe these dogs are no more special than the dogs they have in their own backyard.  The difference is...time spent.

Just 30 minutes a day...and your dog can become the good dog they were meant to be and the dog you always dreamed of.

As always, Happy Trails!


No comments:

Post a Comment