Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Love on a Leash Therapy Dog visits and remembering Emma...


Emma (Matabar's Midnite Extravagance, CD, CGC)

1991-2005

The concept of Love on a Leash is lovingly dedicated to Emma.  She is the one who set my feet on this path, who brought to life the concept of "Let the animals teach you...Job 12:7".  Emma was a great teacher...  Emma was a tri-colored collie who burst into our lives in the fall of 1991.  She was our family's very first dog after purchasing our own home.  I'll never forget the day I met Emma...she chose me that day and never looked back.  I was standing in a small shed filled with 11 collie puppies.  I counted only 10 and as I started looking for the 11th one, I peaked around the shed door and there she was.  It seemed as though she were hiding; maybe she had had enough of people tromping through her little home and needed a break or perhaps she just hadn't found the right family yet and was feeling a little despair. Whatever the reason for her hiding behind the door, when she looked up into my eyes, she came out of hiding and sat right by my leg.  As I moved out into the small yard, Emma followed me and sat right by my leg. As I picked up puppies and put them down and wondered around, every time I looked down there she was; this darling little tri-colored collie puppy sitting right by my leg.  We were looking for a sable colored collie - you know the "Lassie look" but when I picked her up, looked into her sweet little face I was smitten...she was to be our new puppy!  Emma agreed as she snuggled in my arms as if she were home at last.
It didn't take us very long to understand that Emma was a very special dog and meant for our family.  She taught us so much; not only about dog ownership and training but about patience, love and trust.  It was very clear to us that Emma's mission was to love everyone.  She seemed to have a wisdom that was uncanny for a dog.  She seemed to know the order of things and was so attentive to us and those around her.  Emma took me so many places that I never dreamed of going. Emma took me to visit the lonely and forgotten and to children in need.  We visited rest homes, schools, preschools and churches sharing her special kind of unconditional love; she would often pick out the most quiet child and try to engage them in some form or fashion - she was always successful!  Emma was so special to my children; always on a mission to love and protect them...  Emma was sent to me to change my life in the most wonderful way, a gift, an angel in collie clothes on a mission of love...  Miss you Emmy!




2 comments:

  1. well I am bawling :P :D Miss Emma so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, me too...what a sweet dog and how blessed were we to have shared all her 14 years with her!

    ReplyDelete