Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Celebrating Family

Pictured are my sweet kids; Nicholas and Natalie Christmas 1996

My sweet daughter, Natalie (pictured above right) welcomed her own baby girl and our first granddaughter this past week.  My son, Nicholas is an Uncle at age 18! What a wonderful moment filled with joy in the life of a family to welcome their first child, grandchild and niece. We all  fell in love the minute we laid eyes on her and have been over the moon about her ever since!  She's beautiful and I'm not a bit prejudiced!

As I looked at this beautiful new family; Brian, Natalie and their new baby girl I was overwhelmed by the love they represented.  Their love was now fulfilled in the birth of their little daughter.  You could physically see the love between the two of them in the gift of baby Alli. As I sat there thinking back to the precious day we welcomed our little baby Natalie, so many memories flooded my mind.  So much of our two stories were similar.  Matt was still in college - like Brian - I was out of work but happy to be able to stay home with my baby - like Natalie.  We lived in a tiny 2nd floor apartment; much like Natalie and Brian's apartment and like them, we were poor as church mice...but we had the love and support of our family around us - as do they.

I thought back on the struggles of a young family.  I know how hard it is to fight for your family.  This world is not conducive to encouraging families.  In fact, we are encouraged to think about our self first and be happy at all costs.  Many times the cost of this thinking is our very family; the ones who should be the most precious to us are the first pay the price of our selfishness...

Family is worth fighting for and the memories of family are worth preserving.  I think back on the struggles and the joys, the heartaches and the celebrations and I would not trade any one of those moments.  Those precious moments have made us who we are...a family that love each other with all our wonders and all our faults.  It's not an easy journey but is is the most fulfilling calling of your life.

I celebrate this sweet new family; Brian, Natalie and Alli.  I welcome sweet baby Alli into our family! I commit my love, understanding and support to all of them.  And I thank God for them and ask for His blessing on this family and this new baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment