Thursday, June 28, 2012

Leader of the Pack

I did my first power point presentation today.  My 8th speech for Toastmasters.  I had such fun putting it together.  I am really hooked on power points.  I'm now thinking about doing power points for my Pawsitive Family programs -  K9 Bite Prevention and Welcoming Baby K92.  Power points are a wonderfully creative way to share a great deal of information (who knew). We are very visual as a society and I think it will bring great understanding to the information I am trying to present.  Plus, it's just plain fun!

My presentation was inspired by the smallest of our pack, Libby (pictured).  I spoke about how the principles of the pack relate to the principles of leadership.  Libby inspires me!  She is the leader of our pack; all 12 pounds of her. Leadership is not about size, power or might...it's about knowing where you are going and becoming a leader worth following.  Libby is determined, confident and courageous.  All great attributes of a leader.  She brings out the best in everyone, both human and canine.

The power point went really well and I received good and constructive feedback.  If some one would have told me a year ago I would join Toastmasters and really enjoy it, I would have laughed and said "no way".  Dare I say I really enjoy public speaking.  I realize that it is a chance to share my story.  To share my thoughts and ideas with others through my observations, experiences and understanding of the world around me.

I've come a very long way from the child who was described as "backward" and extremely "shy".  Good leaders are made not born.  If you have the desire and will power, you can become an effective leader. I am so thankful that I've found my voice...in large part because of the lessons I've learned from the animals in my life.

I followed my power point presentation with work I love...ending with a wonderful group of dogs and people who are building relationship and progressing by leaps and bounds.   A very good day here at Pawsitive Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment