Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dancing with the ponies...

                                                       The "sweet fillies" - 2 years old

Matt and I are still cleaning up a bit from the big storm that hit our small county on Friday.  We are very thankful and fortunate to have electric and things are returning to normal.  Our barn is continuing to dry out with the help of a fan and ponies are back to the routine they know and love.  We'll get fresh sawdust by this weekend and hopefully all will be comfy again for the ponies.

It's such a hot day, full of flies for the ponies, so we decided to head out to the barn and brush, fly spray and trim bridle paths.  My heart always leaps when I walk into the pasture and see five ponies running toward me. This isn't always so...  It would seem I am reminded of the fact that ponies are "ornery" and "mean" by people all the time when I mention I own and love ponies.  This gives me great opportunity to tell them about my pony farm!  Our farm has once been described, by a vet, as "shangri-la".  This description blessed and humbled me beyond words...  I had to stop and think about it, what a beautiful description of what we do here.  Ponies are loved and respected - simply - and they return that love and respect ten fold.

The sweet fillies are growing into lovely, trusting ponies.  It was hard for me to take this picture, even after trimming their bridle paths, as they kept coming up so close to me.  Being with me is their pleasure in life.  How cool...  They are doing very well with tying, loading in the trailer, being brushed, feet picked up and cleaned, fly sprayed, well any kind of spray you want to spray them with, including nice cool showers with the hose.  Sweet Grace just stood in the middle of the field yesterday when I brought the fly spray out to give everyone a spritz before heading to work.  They also stand very well while clipping bridle paths...ears are coming along...but that usually takes a bit longer in general (and in all fairness I haven't been vigilant at working on it).

They are wearing a small bitting rig (no bridle or bit yet) and will be wearing a full harness this week.  We'll introduce the bridle and bit a little later.  They walk with us everywhere, through anything...

It's such a beautiful dance really...one I have been blessed to do with many different equine partners throughout my life. I remember the lessons each equine teacher has taught me, make it a part of me and then use those lessons to teach the new ones...growing in my experience to make the learning easier on my newest student.

When I think about my experiences...the many dances I've had to pleasure to participate in...I would NOT trade one of them...I had some bruises along the way and learned some hard lessons...but I always got back on the horse, so to speak and rejoined the dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment