Saturday, July 28, 2012

the dance continues

This is Gracie, my pony.  As you know she is two years old and we are beginning our training to harness.  She will be my next driving pony.  She is more than I could have ever hoped for...another pony I could only dream of...  I've admired her sire for a very long time and many of the ponies in her pedigree.  I have looked at shetland ponies with her lines for years - well bred, lovely ponies that were far beyond my budget.  But, I could dream...   Again, my Father who gives such great gifts (and often at the most unexpected times) allowed for me to have this lovely pony in my barn.

We are starting to teach her voice cues..."walk up", "trrrrott", "easy", "aaanndd walk", "whoa"...  Building on all the previous lessons she learned as a yearling.  Driving ponies are in front of you 3 to 4 feet.  Other than the driving lines, you only have your voice to give direction, to guide and to calm.  I love to teach my ponies in the softest voice I possibly can.  I use my body position to reinforce what I am saying and it all comes together like steps to a dance.  As I watch her ears, her body position, her tail...I can see her thinking, trying to understand what I am asking of her...she tells me at each step how she feels and if she is ready for more steps.  At first, it is so awkward...but as we practice our steps they start to become a lovely well-timed, in sync and rhythm dance!  Often I can barely contain my joy as I see that understanding growing and the confidence building.  I am always amazed, astounded, and humbled at the good nature of horses and ponies.  I understand that I am asking a fright flight animal to put their trust in me, to ignore their instincts and look to me for guidance and I never, ever take that for granted nor do I ever stop realizing what a blessing and a privilege it is for me to guide such sweet spirits.

Tonight our practice went so well...I got lost in the moment, in the rhythm, in the magic, the communication and the connection...  The time spent with my pony Gracie was rejuvenating...just what I needed...  I needed to let go of the worries of the day, the week and dance with abandoned joy...and dance we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment