Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My partner...

Alli is my partner in every sense of the word.  She goes to work with me when I teach training classes, dog bite prevention seminars, dog lessons at churches (www.pawsitivejourney.com) and the list goes on and on.  She goes with me everywhere my training business takes me and is my friend, helper and teacher.

Last week I had the joy of welcoming a couple new dogs to an already established training class.  One of the new dogs was a large puppy complete with all the happy puppy energy that comes with that age.  The other dog was a young dog but a bit more mature and small in stature.  I thought I might give Alli the night off as we had already been to a class earlier in the day (and it was hot, hot) and she was a big help as we were teaching a young student and her dog, preparing them for a big competition the next day.  Lots of fine details to go over and Alli was spot on as she and I showed both dog and young girl just how to do what they needed to do.

But when the young puppy was having a hard time fitting in...the smaller dogs were taking offense of his off the wall energy...I knew this was a job for Alli.  I went in the house and brought her out.  Alli was most interested in helping the young pup and went to him immediately to say hi.  She is amazing as I watch her read the new puppy and present herself in the best way so as not to intimidate but to say "Hi and by the way, why don't you relax a bit son...life isn't all that bad."  She was then interested in the younger dog who was showing signs of insecurity and seeming as though he might give a bite.  Again, Alli through her body language, allowed this small dog to know that she meant no harm - in fact, no one in the class meant him any harm and he could be a part of the class in a good and kind way.  Alli then greeted her friend in the class that she has known for sometime and that was pure sweetness.

I was amazed at her body language...the way she stands, the way she turns her head is read loud and clear by her doggy counterparts.  She in just 5 minutes or less helped me to have a cohesive group...from pent up, insecure energy that isn't good...to oh, I see everyone here is cool.  The other dogs then took turns to say hi with Alli watching over the proceedings.  Interesting, to watch her step in when I could see body language and energy beginning to spill over into an area not wanted.  I was pleased to see one of the student's Mom notice Alli's ability to help the group become comfortable with each other.  I could have struggled and interjected myself and it would have taken much longer...but Alli did something so amazing and far better than I could  have in just a matter of minutes.  We went on to have an amazing class...

A couple weeks ago Alli and I worked with a rehabilitation situation with a dog.  He was way over the top and so insecure.  Alli let me know that he wasn't ready to say hello to her in a nice way.  She told me loud and clear what was up with this guy and I listened.

It really is quite hard for me to put into words how much I love and respect Alli.  She helps me do what I do...I always listen to her and never ignore her responses to dogs or to people.  Just last night Alli and I were out on a trail in the country with Libby and Ezra.  A man came around the path and the dogs saw him.  I was alone and it was just about dusk.  I asked the dogs to sit and stay and watched them as the guy passed us.  I felt a bit vulnerable, but Alli was fine.  No response from her.  He was fine.  I've seen her react to people who she preferred we stay away from and thankfully no such reaction.  I immediately felt a calm, all was well.  She amazes me when she works a classroom of children and I am so astounded at how often the teachers say that Alli seems to bring calm to the young classroom of high energy children.  She makes my heart skip a beat when I see her lock onto that one who needs her most and works her magic.  

When I was a little girl, I dreamed that one day I would work with dogs and horses.  That I would have a partner to help me and it would be a collie.  I have had a couple pretty wonderful collie partners.  Emma and now Alli who has seemed to pick up the banner where Emmy left off.  I'm blessed to call Alli my partner and my friend!




No comments:

Post a Comment