Sunday, August 26, 2012

I am a dog trainer

I bought a book a while ago at a used book sale in my hometown of Gettysburg, Adams County Pennsylvania (this is what is stamped on the top of the book).  As I read the forward and flipped through it that summer day standing in the cafeteria of my old Junior High School, I knew this was a book I would really enjoy.  It's called, "Adam's Task - calling animals by name" by Vicki Hearne.  This book has sat on my "to read" book pile by my bed for a couple years. I have to note and give this book credit as it was worthy enough not to be set on the bookshelf of  "I will eventually get to these" books. It was afterall special enough to be placed by my bed.  This book has dutifully kept it's vigil, waiting for me.  I went through that pile just this week looking for something really "good" to read during vacation and after reading the forward again, I picked it out of the pile, placed it on top and will be packing it along with me as I go and have some fun in the sun with my family - grand baby and dogs included!

Here is a quote from the forward by Donald McCaig (a favorite writer of mine and dog trainer in his own right).  "I believe that training any dog to anything like his full capacity is an intricate, heartfelt, deeply intellectual undertaking which deepens the trainer's soul as surely as it satisfies the dog's.  The conversation between trainer and dog is so subtle and satisfying that I have known great trainers whose ordinary human speech has atrophied." Yes, yes and Amen!  What I wouldn't do to sit down and have a conversation with this man.

I've ventured into the first chapter of the writing of Vicki Hearn, who is also a fellow trainer of both dogs and horses, and I am excited (fairly shaking with anticipation like my sweet Ezra tends to do just before enjoying an agility course) to explore the thoughts she has written down on page. I am fairly giddy at the prospect of sitting with her on the beach next week allowing her to continue to speak to me through her writing.  I found myself stopping to think of the deep meaning of what she is conveying through her writing.  I find myself having so many questions flip through my mind as quickly as I flipped through the pages and finding myself asking these questions out loud.  I am hoping as I read further she will, in fact, answer my questions.

I have come to the realization that my entire life has been a study in training dogs...it started when I was very young (I can't remember a time I didn't know dogs in my life) and had the happy privilege to be surrounded by dogs of many different sizes, mixes and breeds.  And thankfully I observed working dogs first hand, truly intelligent dogs who made the life of my family easier by the work they did for and with them. It was natural for me to see dogs as working dogs, dogs sharing our lives, having purpose far greater than being tied to a tree out in the backyard.

When reading the works of people like Donald McCaig and Vicki Hearn, I am proud to say that I am a dog trainer.  Training dogs isn't just something to do, it is a part of me...who I am. It isn't making or pushing the dog to do what I want, the snatch and jerk method...it's a thoughtful conversation, it's intricate, working with individuals who deserve my care and respect to reach them where they will learn best, it's building understanding for both dog and human...it's spiritual, intellectual and oh, so satisfying.


I am a dog trainer...I am part of a pretty amazing community of thoughtful, intelligent people.  I am so pleased to continue in my journey to bring the best training principles and practices and to articulate them in a way it will make a difference to both human and canine.

No comments:

Post a Comment