Thursday, July 12, 2012

If I asked your dog how your week was...

...what would they say?  Our dogs know us best, they know us very intimately actually.  They are masters of observation and body language.  They know when you come and go.  Some studies have shown that dogs have a sense of when their owners are on their way home from work without looking at the clock or having any other clue other than a sense(that we don't have) that someone they are waiting for is about to return to them.  They know when we are about to go on a walk, or leave the house, they have observed our rituals over and over again.  Some dogs who have had no training whatsoever all of a sudden understand and alert when their owner is about to have a seizure or their blood sugar is about to go too low.  Amazing!

I read a research article recently that states dogs and apes are the only two species who can read human facial features.  I believe this to be true.  They know when we are happy or sad, elated or disappointed.  They may not feel the very exact same emotions in the way that we do, but I do believe they have an understanding of our basic state of being.  In fact, I know they do...I have seen dogs come alive when their owners are happy with them, when they show joy.  For instance, in class...that moment the light bulb goes on for the dog and understanding of what is being asked takes place and the owner/partner smiles and laughs and says 'good dog'!  I've seen the joy that can spread from the very tip of the dog's tail completely through their body to the tip of their tongue as they give the one whose happiness means the most to them a big wet kiss.

I'm going to ask this question this evening to my class.  My reasoning is twofold.  First, I want them to understand that their dogs see them everyday; at their very best and worst.  I want them to know that their dog takes note of their state of being and it can and does affect them.  I was at a meeting today and a lady at our table asked me why her daughter's dog hates her in-laws.  She went on to explain that the in-laws are animal lovers and very involved with animals.  "Do you think it's because they often come to take the grandchild away with them?  The dog knows and doesn't want them to take the child away from him?"  Very good and thoughtful questions.  But, I could only answer with a question.  How does your daughter feel about her in-laws?  What is their relationship like?  Our dogs are a reflection of us.  And so very often when they are exhibiting confusing behavior, it's because they are following our lead.  If we allow them, they can and will teach us.  Help us to look at our relationships...the way we do things and perhaps...change those things.  Bring calm to unresolved feelings or situations.  I love that about working with dogs!

And secondly, I want my students to think of time with their dogs and working in class as a happy moment.  A moment in their day when there are no hidden agendas, no manipulations, and no drama.  I don't want them to think of class or training as military precision, but as a time of bonding, building trust and understanding with a species that has been known for centuries as man's best friend.  I want them to experience shear joy, of letting their guard down, of dancing with abandoned...of being in the moment!  I want PJ to be a place where everyone is welcomed and safe and where relationships between dogs and people flourish and grow.  There will never be a person or dog who flunks my class...

So...what would your dog say about you today...

No comments:

Post a Comment