Sunday, July 12, 2015

Body Language

No I'm not talking about the song Body Language by Queen...  I'm talking about dog body language.  Dog's speak volumes through their body.  They speak to their fellow pack members, as well as, to us...if we'll listen.
Body language is a fascinating study.  I've spent a life-time of working with dogs and horses and my understanding of body language has opened a whole new wonderful world to me and has, at times, kept me safe.

As humans our main form of communication is verbal.  We are very vocal.  As a young child I was extremely shy – often described as “backwards”.  I found it very easy to communicate with animals – no words needed – what a relief for me. But I also learned, from a young age, that people speak volumes through their expressions and body language as well.  Often times what we say and what our body says - does not match (insert folded arms, rolling of the eyes...you get the 'picture')...

A dog’s main form of communication is by using body language.  Dogs do vocalize by barking, whining and growling but most often use their body when speaking to each other and to humans.  The most wonderful thing about dogs is they learn our language but often we don’t take the time to learn theirs. (And this is why so many GOOD dogs are surrendered to the pound – miscommunication!)

My approach to dog training is to honor the way dogs communicate and that is through visual cues and body language.

The smallest dog of our pack, Libby (pictured above) – all 11 lbs of her – was the leader.  I was always amazed at how she could give the other dogs a look, a stare, a stance and they obeyed her. She helped me to realize this truth in my training program.  If little Libby could ask for and get results from dogs who were 3 and 4 times her size...then why do we humans insist on snatching and jerking our dogs to get what we want.  If we spoke to dogs in the correct way, we wouldn't need to man handle and over power them! 

A recent study suggests that even people who are trying to hide their feelings speak volumes through their body language.  Truth is our body's just can’t lie. 

 Barely perceivable micro expressions are often caught by our dogs.  Dog's know when we are preparing to leave for work.  They know when you are preparing to take them on a walk, feed them or going on vacation.  They get it when you are frustrated, happy... They are master's of body language and they watch us all the time, they know our routines well.

Dog's tell us when they are frightened, excited, overwhelmed, stressed and even when they are about to bite.  We often just miss the cues.  Easy to understand what the doberman is saying in this picture below.
Get Back!

But do you know what the chocolate Labrador is saying in this picture?

A look, a stare, yawning, heavy panting, looking away and licking the lips are speaking volumes...can you hear it?  One of the things I am most passionate about is sharing this information with  humans.  So many misunderstandings could be solved by proper communication!

If you find you are having a difficult time communicating with your canine companion and you'd like to be on the same page...call me.  I'd be happy to help... and in the meantime...

Happy Trails!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment