Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Little Sentry



Buffy...my little sentry.  Buffy was our family's miniature poodle.  She might look small but to a little girl she was mighty in my eyes.  What a sweet precious soul this little dog was to me...she was my angel in furry clothes.

When I was just a tiny baby in my mother's arms, my father left our family.  It's a long drawn out story of betrayal and sadness...it happened and it was just the way things were...something I understood from a very young age.  My mother moved home to be surrounded by her family.  My uncle's became our surrogate fathers and they were all very good men.  My one uncle who came to our house quite often was especially dear to us.  One of my first fuzzy memories of this precious man was him trying to get me to eat my creamed corn (still to this day I don't like creamed corn), but he got the job done that day.  Although, I was quite young, I do remember his smile - so genuine, so handsome - it could light a room.  When I was 5 years old, my uncle, a very young man of 38 years, passed away unexpectedly of a heart attack.  It rocked my family. 

 My Grandmother lived in our home to help my mother with my sister and I.  I remember her love, hugs and the wonderful food she prepared for me. She was always there as my Mom worked a day job and an evening job just to keep food on the table.  In the fall of my 9th year, my young Grandmother of 63 years died, very unexpectedly of an apparent heart attack.  It rocked my world.  

After my Grandmother passed away a great deal changed. My sister, who was 10 years older then I, went off to college. The question was who would be home for me after school. My sweet neighbor lady would be available to me, if I needed her. But for the most part, I was to come home to an empty house.  This was before latch key and after school programs like we have today. Thankfully, I believe God had a plan and it came in the form of a little poodle.  A dear friend of my mother's bought her a poodle puppy to cheer her after my grandmother's death. She was such a welcome relief; something to put our thoughts and mind on.  Puppies take so much care and attention, it was perfect for all of us.  Buffy became very special from the moment she arrived!

  I was nervous that first day as I walked home from school...I kept playing over and over in my mind that I would be home alone until my mother got off of work.  I anxiously thought about how it would be dark before she would arrive.  All these worried thoughts were playing around and around my mind.  As I approached the door to my house that afternoon, these thoughts were interrupted by a loud, happy bark as I opened the front door.  My sweet poodle, Buffy, greeted me like I was the best thing since sliced bread!  I quickly realized I wouldn't be home alone after all. 

I would leave Buffy outside and feed her, I had a job to do, something to keep my mind busy.  I would then call my mom to let her know I was home safely and would sit down to do my homework. Buffy seemed to know she was on duty, as she was so attentive to me.  Buffy never left my side.  I remember sharing my day with her and she would listen attentively, she kept all my secrets and licked all my tears.  I remember this tiny poodle giving a little girl all the courage she needed to enter a big old, creaky house after school and wait for her mother.  


I believe that God sends us what we need when we need it.  I am thankful for this sweet gift sent directly to me from my Father God. And I am most thankful that at a very young age, I had a knowledge and understanding of the good gifts my Father in Heaven gave to me. Sometimes out of great loss, comes great understanding. I, also, believe that God uses animals to help him here on earth when the humans can't or perhaps, won't. I read a lovely true story of a golden retriever several summers ago that saved an older gentlemen who was drowning in the ocean. The most fascinating thing to me about this true story is this golden didn't know this man...he was not apart of her family or her 'pack'.  In fact, this golden had been raised and loved by a young single woman.  So, why did the golden care about the man drowning in the ocean?  I'm interested that there were many humans all over the beach that day...but none of them noticed the drama unfolding in the ocean.  I believe God looked for one of his children to help...to help his son, the man drowning.  But...the humans...as they so often are...were busy...weren't listening to that still small voice that can guide and direct us. God found this lovely golden retriever dog willing to help his son and she did. It was miraculous...absolutely!  You can argue with me, but I believe the animals who communed with Adam and Eve and God is the Garden, so long ago, still do to this day.  They did not fall...they did not sin, they still have communication with their creator.  I believe this as I've have read about it, I have seen it and have experienced it over and over again throughout my life.  I believe Buffy was God's hand extended to me...she was exactly what I needed.

Job 12:7 states..."and let the animals teach you..." It goes on to say that the "animals know what the hand of the Lord has done"...that "every creature, yes every living soul are in God's hand."  Later in the chapter it talks about what the animals already know...of the power and might of God..."if God holds back the water we have drought, if he sends the rain we have flood."  The animals, according to the Bible understand "how strong and victorious" our God is!  They know!  I will forever be grateful and thankful that God sent me Buffy, my sentry, my furry angel, who knew how to give a little girl comfort and courage...

No comments:

Post a Comment