Saturday, January 26, 2013

Billy and I - Day 3

I woke up to another spectacular snowy day.  I couldn't resist taking photos from my house, beautiful big fluffy snowflakes gently falling on a quiet winter's morning.  I can't help myself...I like snow.  I much prefer snow over mud and 90 degree days with 90% humidity.  I have set my mind to enjoy this beautiful weather and to not let one training moment pass us by...

I could barely wait to get out of bed this morning and wake up my pony for our daily walk!  I can't tell you the last time I felt that much excitement...it's been quite a long time and it felt good.  As I watched the time go by slowly on my nightstand clock - 6:10 am...7:22 am - I decided to just get up and make an early morning of it (even though it is a Saturday morning).

As I put my layers on I was laying out my path for Bill and I in my mind.  I decided to revisit our creek and walk our neighbors very hilly 4 acre pasture.  Actually, the house is empty at the moment and I was sure no one would mind us walking the fence line.  I would be sure to watch out for gopher holes and...have some fun.  I was especially happy as my hubby wanted to join Bill and I.  I know he probably would have liked to bring his pony along for the walk, but I had to remind him that my goal is to take Bill out solo so we can help him overcome always having to be with his friends.  No problem...Matthew was game!

As the snow gently fell we started out. I was pleased right at the start that Bill seemed happy to go and that my lead rope wasn't taunt.  He just followed right by me, out the gate, over my frozen 8x8 elevated garden plot and into the next pasture.  We went to the creek first and he followed...he jumped it as if there were crocodiles ready grab him...but he followed me...no hesitation...all go!  Good boy!  We came to the For Sale sign at the top of the lane of our previous neighbors.  Bill walked right up to it and gave it a sniff...good boy!
He fairly leaned his head on the sign and I couldn't help but take a minute and get the picture.  Funny how a pony's brain works...I thought he might think twice about this sign and didn't at all...I didn't think he'd look twice at the  trash can yesterday and he did.  We then went to visit the bright read pipe sticking out from the pond, again not a thought about it.  We walked up a very steep hill and continued to have a nice loopy lead...out for a stroll enjoying the moment.  This is really fun.  I do have to admit I did have to ask Bill to stand a few times while going up the hills today...but after all, it is good practice right?  And I was able to catch my breath.  I am happy for the opportunity for me to get fit as well! Huff...puff...huff...whew!  Billy was patient and kind and didn't think anything about our stops and starts.  Good boy!  Matt decided to help me as we started up our second big hill...I have to admit that was very nice.  Good boy, Matt!  :)  I was also very pleased that the girls left at home didn't whinny once.  Amazing...only our 3rd day out and things are settling into routine...  Billy didn't dance at anything today, he was forward and didn't balk at anything as well...we walked under the clothes line, over a couple wooden railroad poles and down the long drive way.  We decided to walk back to our farm on the road.  It's always a bit quieter on our road on Saturdays and Sundays.  I was pleased that we had a truck come down the hill opposite and behind us and he slowed way down.  I thanked him and waved him on.  We were right in the road and Bill stopped and faced the truck and just stood...again a loopy lead...well done buddy!  We then had several cars come toward us and we walked to the side of the road without barely a nod from Bill.  Amazing how when you simply ask of your horse or pony, they so willing follow you.  Often times, we so often make up a story in our mind how our horse doesn't like this or he'll freak out at that...  I've done the same thing and realized how much I put us both in a box that we didn't deserve to be in.  I haven't done a great deal of road work with Bill because of my own silly thoughts.  I am so glad that I decided to embark on this journey...so happy to see again the willingness of my pony to follow me!

Happy day to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment