Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Alli, collie followed me to school one day...

Alli and I visited Fredericktown Elementary School today and read the above book to the children in the preschool class.  I love this book for very young children as it talks about how dogs use their senses, especially their sense of smell.  At the end of the book the author then talks about how you tell when a dog is happy and about working dogs and how dogs help us in our every day lives. This book is a great tool and helps me to introduce Alli, explain what she does and how she helps people.  The kids were great today and loved Alli.  They asked wonderful questions and we had a great time from start to finish.

This was Alli's first visit to this school and I was so pleased to see her so happy to be there.  We checked into the office upon our arrival and then found our way to the classroom.  Luckily our room was in the very back of the school and we had a happy time visiting children along the way.  I always call ahead when visiting a new facility to be sure the teacher who invited us has informed the school and they are aware that a dog will be in the building.  Apparently the news had gotten around and it seemed people were expecting us as we were greeted with many smiles and lots of pats for Alli.  Alli reveled in the attention and the smiles on the kids and adults faces alike were priceless to me.  Alli's tail was going full force as well - very happy collie completely in her element!

I am also very excited to report that this school is interested in learning more about Reading Dogs and are open to the idea of Alli coming to school for students, who are struggling with their reading skills, to read to Alli. Reading education assistance dog programs are going great guns all over the country.  I'm hoping we can offer this excellent program right here in our small community, completely free of charge - all volunteer.  The benefits of this type of program are many and we have concrete statistics of children meeting and often exceeding their grade level in reading by practicing reading to the dogs.  Dogs are calming and are a non-judgmental listener - they could care less if a child stumbles over a word.  And the more you practice reading the better you do!  I dropped off my folder of information at the office for the Principal to read.  I am so hopeful that they will utilize Alli's gift - the job that she was created to do.

This program that Alli and I are offering is very near and dear to my heart.  It's a part of my story...  I was so thankful when the school's reading teacher stopped by the room to meet Alli and hear about what we could offer her.  She happened to complement me on my speaking to the children; saying that I didn't seem to be at a loss for words. I quickly shared with her that that wasn't always my story.  When I was quite young I was often described as "backward".  I think I had trouble finding my voice because I struggled to learn to read. I was the child whose stomach hurt, who missed a great many days of school, who knew she was different from the other kids, who knew she was struggling but didn't know why.  I couldn't read, I couldn't put letters together and it made everything in school more difficult.  I had to repeat 1st grade and in my 2nd year my small school finally had a "reading teacher".  I was called out of class to go to the "reading room".  I remember feeling a bit strange being called out of my class - different.  I now know that all the feelings I described above that I experienced are the typical feelings of children who are struggling to read.  I'm so thankful for my reading teacher, I still remember her -  she was wonderful.  She quickly realized what I loved and what made me come alive and would read to me and have me read small books about horses and dogs.  She spoke with my Mom and gave her great suggestions at how she could help me at home. My Mom read to me every evening before bed and made flashcards for me to practice the words that were especially difficult for me.  It's funny I still remember getting stumped with car - rots. I kept saying the words separately perfectly...my Mom smiled so big and kept saying YES, now put them together. She said my face was priceless when I finally put it together - carrots.  I did learn how to read and flourished in school from that point on.

So I am hopeful that Alli and I can help kids like me, bring them some comfort in the form of a tri-colored collie; reduce their heart rate, calm their anxiety and help them practice reading so that they too can flourish in school.   I'll let you know what happens, cross your fingers and toes for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment