Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Alli visits Fredericktown Elementary School. Part 2


Alli and I visited the morning class at the Fredericktown Elementary school today.  Brand new class, a whole new group of children.  I noticed the children in the morning class are a bit younger than the children in the afternoon class.  We had a great deal of fun and Alli loved on all the kids!  We were once again well received as we walked through the hallways...such a pleasure and a privilege for me to be on the other end of Alli's lead.  She is a working dog and she does love her job.

I am using my blog as a Journal of sorts and wanted to share some sweet events of our visit today.  There was one little boy, the youngest of the group, I believe when asked his age he held up three little fingers. I couldn't help but be drawn to his delightful, if not a bit impish smile.  He seemed to have a twinkle in his eye as he smiled...you know one of those smiles that says I know I'm cute, into most everything and I love life!  Alli was drawn to him as well.  I so wish I had taken my camera as there are just those special moments where you hold your breath trying to take it all in because it's just so fantastic, so wonderful!  Everything stops in these moments...time seems to stand still as something so special transpires between a little human and a great big dog.  When we greeted this smallest of the group, he immediately put both hands up to Alli's face...embracing her long pointy nose between his tiny hands and just held it for the longest time.  Alli stood so patiently, so still and looked into his eyes so sweetly yet so intently. There was much going on between them, such a wonder to behold, just about brought tears to my eyes right then and there.  After they exchanged their thoughts...no words needed...this sweet little boy pulled Alli's head in close to his face and gave her a big kiss right on the top of her head.  Alli proceeded to wag not only her tail but her entire body...such joy that can not be contained in just a mere wagging tail.  She was enjoying the moment and I can't help but think she understood so much more of what this little guy needed from her than I could ever begin to imagine.  I have no concrete picture of this event but it is etched into my memory forever and always!  I'm hoping we'll meet again...

While the children were getting their coats on to leave for the day...Alli was interested in looking around the room.  We were given a hardy thumbs up and started our fun adventure around the room full of wonderful things to take in for human and dog.  Alli sniffed every square inch and I was interested to watch her problem solve a new scent she encountered.  Of course, I saw the snake in a little aquarium long before Alli smelled it and I wondered...what would she think of this little creature?  I was so fascinated when she finally got up close and personal with this new scent.  There was a small stool in front of the aquarium and Alli put her two front feet on it - hey, it's there and this is what your suppose to do with that stool - why not! By stepping on the stool she was up close and personal with this new exciting creature in the glass box. She sniffed and sniffed and could see the movement of this tiny red striped corn snake.  The snake looked up at Alli and came close to the glass toward her nose.  Beside the aquarium there was a basket of the snake's skin it had shed.  Alli sniffed the skin over and over again, joyously embracing this new creature, this new scent this wonderful new thing.  I so enjoyed her enjoying this new event and couldn't help but think, lucky dog.  So many dogs live in beautiful homes and have lovely back yards but so often many don't get the opportunity to explore their surroundings, their environment...the opportunity to learn new things and grow.   

Right smack in the middle of this new ecstasy Alli was pulled back into reality by her new little friend.  He was all bundled up from head to toe ready to go meet the bus.  Alli immediately left the snake and stood with her friend again.  He once again embraced Alli's nose between his bright blue mittens and gave her one last long look...kissed her nose and waved Good bye to me.  Alli followed him to the door and the teacher's assistant remarked what a special little friendship was forming...it was quite evident to everyone the rapore between tiny human and great big dog.

After our visit, Alli and I took a walk around our small town in the brisk cold air...  I couldn't help but be filled with the wonder of the day...all the great snapshots of our time with the kids in the preschool class at Fredericktown Elementary etched in my memory.  I can't help but think Alli was filled with wonder too...well done, girl...well done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment