Thursday, January 12, 2012

Meet the Pack...Alli


And last but certainly not the least of our pack of three is our sweet Alli collie.  Alli is our registered Therapy Dog.  She is the most gentle and kind of all our dogs.  If the JR's (Ezra and Libby) bark, Alli and I will look up and then usually say, "those silly JR's"!  But, if Alli barks I know something is up. She knows what belongs here and what does not and let's me know.  The best guardian ever. 

Alli is the great great niece of our Emma collie.  I do see a few very close similarities and it's a joy and a pleasure to work with Alli. Alli is very tuned into all people. She amazes me constantly by her wisdom; watching her problem solve as we go along. One day when we were visiting a preschool event there was a little girl wielding a lollipop right in front of Alli's nose. I saw Alli look away and then at me; as if to say, "that lollipop is not mine, right?"  Good girl, Al!  She is so soft and gentle when we visit those in wheelchairs; often placing the side of her body up close to the wheel chair so that the person can pet her.  I didn't teach her this; she just figured it out. Recently, we went into a room of a lady who was visiting the facility for rehabilitation purposes.  She had not met Alli yet and after asking if we may visit she said we could come in.  The minute she saw Alli she said, "Oh dear maybe not".  Telling us that she was frightened of large dogs. It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to reel Alli in by her lead, but was astounded when Alli turned away from her and came back to me without hesitating.  In fact, as we were talking about dogs Alli laid down by me as if to take the smallest and most unassuming position she could to allow for this lady to feel comfortable. Alli was successful, the lady loved her - pet her and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.  Well done, Alli - you did it again!

Alli is my demo dog and partner, in every sense of the word, for obedience classes.  I am amazed how she can dissipate the fearful energy of dogs in our class and invite them to participate in a good and productive way. I follow her lead when working with dogs; especially fearful, dominant and aggressive dogs.  She tells me by her body language what's going on with these dogs.  I always trust what I read from her and only proceed after I understand Alli's leading.  I've seen her completely calm a very upset, ready to bite dog by the positioning of herself and her body.  Allowing these very insecure dogs to know that she means them no harm.  Then we can really get to work; helping the human in the equation understand their dog and what they can do to help them.  These types of events happen with Alli all the time, the list goes on and on. I have always said there is a reason why they chose the breed of a collie for the show "Lassie"!  They really are very intelligent and tuned into people, especially their families and their place.  

Today I took Alli with me to my Toastmasters meeting.  My project speech for today was about Body Language.  Perfect!  I thought of incorporating Alli immediately in my speech and asked if she could attend with me.  I received a resounding yes, bring her!  Since Alli was going to help me I practiced my speech with her quite a few times.  She was a living example of that which I was sharing and talking about.  Well, during my speech, as happens when you are in front of people, I lost my way. Because I had practiced with Alli she knew the script, what to expect and when.  When I veered off course, went off script, Alli told on me.  I laughed out loud and had to confess.  Last time I practice a speech with my smarty pants collie; I'll add lib with her from now on!!!

I am thankful for that bond that formed so long ago between man and canine.  Alli truly makes my life both here on my small farm and in my work with dogs so much easier. I've said it before and I will say it again, what a privilege it is to be at the other end of Alli's lead...

No comments:

Post a Comment