Sunday, January 8, 2012

Meet the Pack...Libby


Libby loves to pose for the camera as you can tell in this picture.  When I get the camera out she is the first dog by my side ready to sit, down, jump up on a chair or object, she's just ready to be a part of the process.  She seems to keep a watchful eye on me as well when she spots the camera.  She loves the camera!  She is a large dog in a small package and is all heart.  Libby, the smallest of our pack, is the leader.  I've always said it is way easier to add a new puppy into your household and train a new puppy when you have an older, wiser doggy pack leader to help.  Emma, my beloved once in a life-time collie, helped me raise Libby.  I am continually fascinated by all the many things Libby picked up from Emma, how she does some of the very same things Emma did.  I often say Libby has the spirit of Emma and I truly believe that.  

Libby may be small but she is so mighty.  She can give the other, much larger dogs a look, a stare, a certain body stance and they immediately submit to her authority.  What a picture of confidence; knowing what you want and getting the job done with the least amount of cues, useless expended energy and fuss.  I have learned so many valuable lessons from Libby and have tried to model the attributes I have learned from my smallest teacher.  First, you have to have a direction, you have to know what you want.  Next, you have to have the confidence to step out and accomplish whatever it is you want.  And most important getting what you want doesn't have to include expending copious amounts of negative energy; such as yelling and getting frustrated for instance. Simply ask in a direct and calm way.  I still look to Libby for inspiration.  I recently read that we 'teach' people how to treat us.  Wow, what a revelation and how very true.  Libby is a real life example of that for me.  I am amazed at how much respect my little lady garners from her pack members and other dogs.  All with little to no fuss or fanfare.  She believes in herself and her abilities, she asks and she gets results!  The other thing I've learned is not to run away from the camera, run towards it...those pictures will be great memories to be treasured by those who love you in years to come!

Libby was a Delta Pet Partner and has since retired.  I was amazed at the screening process involved with this great organization.  Libby passed everything with flying colors; there is no doubt she is a great doggy ambassador after passing all their very stringent tests.  Libby loves to play and do tricks.  Everyday she brings me something; if she can't find one of her toys to play tug, a sock will do.  I love that about her.  At 9 years young, she is always the first in line to play a good game!  She is my husband's agility partner and can't help but talk her way around the course.  She loves agility and spending time with him. It's apparent to everyone around her just how much fun she is having.  Another lesson learned - let people really know how much you enjoy being with them!

Libby is a creature of comfort and we often say, "Libby can take a funny turn."  She is our little lady afterall.  IF a trip is too long, she'll tell you.  If she isn't quite comfortable you know it.  If she doesn't want to do something she may say so first and then will be obedient to your requests, even if her heart isn't in it.  She is definite about what she likes and what she does not.  I love my little Jack Russell girl and enjoy seeing the world through her eyes...  I have learned a ton from this little 12 pound ball of energy and presence.  Thanks Libby!

No comments:

Post a Comment